Transforming Education for the 21st Century

Helping educators innovate, communicate, collaborate and create.

I received an email from one of the members about using bar code scanners for maintaining inventories of hardware and equipment. I am very much interested in this idea and I am hoping that someone can give us some suggestions on how to proceed. Needless to say, low cost (FREE) solutions are especially welcome.

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is very easy to use a USB scanner to do inventory.  Just buy a USB scanner, plug it into your computer (the drivers and software will automatically install).  Then just open excel and scan away.  The bar codes you scan will be put directly into the excel field. 

Hi Jacek,

We purchased a Zebex Long Range Bar Code Handheld Scanner for  $104.06. It works really well. The FAMIS # is 05024454X. It is a must for maintaining inventory.

Hi Jaceck

If you have an new model of the iPod touch, or an iPad, I have been using an amazing app combined with the built-in camera to do my inventory. The app is called Inventory Scanner and it's free from the App Store. You can use it with most barcodes one products already, or, do what I have been doing which is printing my own barcodes and using them. Really liking how easy it is.

I have a question... Where can we get those scanners for hardware inventory?
They are on Famis.  Just go to shopdoe.org and search for "barcode scanner".  There are many options to choose from.  I have the WASP and think it is great.
Thank you James :)) I got it.
Hi, somebody help please I go the scanner but it does not work the way it listed in the manual Does anyone actualy use it?

We used Destiny through E Follet.  This can work for assets as well as books.  I would look into this possibility, however there are some large costs associated with it.  What you can also do is buy a USB scanner and just use Access or Google Spreadsheets.

Hope that helps.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Your Hosts

TED21C "hosts" are here to help with any questions you might have about the network. Please feel free to contact them directly from their linked profile pages:

Beth Richards

Carolyn Semet

Conferences & Webinars

->Visit The EdTech Conference Guide for a listing of upcoming conferences.

->Visit Classroom 2.0 Live for live web events.
->Visit Tech & Learning Webinars for a listing of upcoming events.

Funding Opportunities

Looking for funding for your innovative school or classroom project? Here are some sites to visit with grant funding information.

Grant opportunities on the NYC DOE website (note: accessed only from an NYC DOE connected computer)

eSchool News Funding Resources

DonorsChoose.Org Giving Page

Grants.gov is your source to FIND and APPLY for federal government grants.

Grants Alert

We Are Teachers

Middle School Success Awards for STEM
5K annually for 3 years

Useful grant writing tips.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Follow Us on Twitter!

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos