Transforming Education for the 21st Century

Helping educators innovate, communicate, collaborate and create.

Teaching and Using Scratch in the classroom?

Looking to contact any teachers who are currently using Scratch in their classrooms/curriculum or who are interested in learning more about it or have been thinking about incorporating into their curriculum.

thanks

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Tracy, You may want to attend our Scratch workshop in May 2012. Here is the link to register: http://ted21c.ning.com/events/event/listByDate?date=2012-05-16. Nick Rubinfier will be presenting. He uses Scratch with his students. You can contact him here on this network: http://ted21c.ning.com/profile/NickRubinfier?xg_source=profiles_mem...

-Carolyn

that's okay, I have been using Scratch in my classroom since it was available. I teach programming to middle school students. (also using Microworlds and I teach a Robotics Club). I am interested in locating NYC public school teachers who are either using it or are interested in learning more about it. There doesn't seem to be a very easy way to see or share what other NYCDOE schools are doing in terms of curriculum such as this and I was hoping to get some contacts for some projects that I am working on. If there is another forum or discussion group that may be a better choice for me to find this information I would love to know. Thanks.
I teach K-5 and Scratch is available to all students though I only teach formal scratch lessons with 3rd, 4th, and 5th.  Right now I'm having 3rd graders make presentation on polygons, using the book The Greedy Triangle. 4th graders are importing in a map of the U.S. and drawing in two states so that the Sprite will walk back and fourth between the two.  And 5th graders are using scratch to make a presentation with multiple stages and sprites on any subject they can adapt to a school topic of study.

The first time a learned scratch was for a Java programming class I had to take at Teachers College.Since then I have been using it with the students in my tech classes.In my experience is a good program to start teaching programming structure with scratch blocks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Your Hosts

TED21C "hosts" are here to help with any questions you might have about the network. Please feel free to contact them directly from their linked profile pages:

Beth Richards

Carolyn Semet

Conferences & Webinars

->Visit The EdTech Conference Guide for a listing of upcoming conferences.

->Visit Classroom 2.0 Live for live web events.
->Visit Tech & Learning Webinars for a listing of upcoming events.

Funding Opportunities

Looking for funding for your innovative school or classroom project? Here are some sites to visit with grant funding information.

Grant opportunities on the NYC DOE website (note: accessed only from an NYC DOE connected computer)

eSchool News Funding Resources

DonorsChoose.Org Giving Page

Grants.gov is your source to FIND and APPLY for federal government grants.

Grants Alert

We Are Teachers

Middle School Success Awards for STEM
5K annually for 3 years

Useful grant writing tips.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Follow Us on Twitter!

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos